How to Position for Sustainability
Businesses require a well-thought-out process to stay afloat and abreast with market dynamics. The importance of this basic plan is even more pronounced with the uncertainties of our time – the incidence of COVID-19, regulatory changes, economic downturn and many other disruptive factors. While some businesses have recorded massive and positive growth despite these disruptions, other businesses have wound up or struggling to stay afloat. This article will highlight the 5 (Five) important factors that entrepreneurs need to consider in their business operations if they must grow sustainably. These factors are:
- Finance – Capital is the lifeblood of any business; it is important for take-off, operations and growth. You can finance your business either through debt or equity (other people buying shares in your company) or you can adopt a mix of both equity and debt. You can also consider grants, commercial loans or bringing on Private Equity or Venture Capital companies. Whatever financing option you take, the growth potential of your business and the amount of risks you are willing to take now, must be keenly considered. An entrepreneur may need to seek professional advice to take on the most suitable option.
- Growth – Growth is a product of consistent and intentional efforts with the application of sound strategies in achieving business objectives. To grow, the business needs to create value. So, to advance in business, the entrepreneurs need to answer the WHY Question. What is the key product or service this business has created? Is it really meeting a need? What is my product fit? Who are my target customers/clients? The WHY questions will guide you in making the right decisions and the answers to them will set the stage for business growth.
- Talent Recruitment – A suitable workforce is crucial to furthering business objectives and attaining set goals. Hiring should be done with objectivity, excellence, purpose, and on a needs basis. Entrepreneurs should build a team that can align with the values and ethos of the business and who can key into its vision and imbibe its culture.
- Establishing Systems & Structures – Entrepreneurs need to initiate and institutionalize appropriate mechanisms and procedures to ensure the efficient running of their businesses even in their absence as founders or CEO. Ensure that your employees understand the business dynamics and can make valuable decisions even in your absence.
- Use of Technology –It is important that entrepreneurs leverage on technology as a tool to create an efficient system and improve their business service delivery. Technology keeps disrupting the norm and any entrepreneur who does not adopt technology stands the risk of losing its business to its competitors.
Post Views: 647
What's Your Reaction?